Thursday, May 14, 2009

Up animation progression in eight steps

Patience is something I'm pretty good about when it comes to movies. I don't get antsy about upcoming releases, at least not to the point that it interferes with my life in a substantial amount. I don't line up to buy tickets, rush to early showings, incessantly talk about new releases, or touch myself provocatively when discussing release dates … basically I'm not a fanboy when it comes to new films. I have a life and that takes priority to things like new movies. But I'd abandon even those principles for Up, Pixar's new animated picture. I can't wait to see it. No, literally I can't wait for it. It has become too difficult.

The press screening for it is still about a week away, so in lieu of actually seeing Up I started checking out some of the press artwork for it on one of Disney's clunky press sites. I found several cool pieces of concept art and then this really cool animation progression, which shows you the cross-section of layers that make up each sequence. Very cool stuff. Enjoy!


Here's are the eight images for the digital progression: 1) Storyboard 2) Camera and staging 3) Final set modeling and dressing 4) Final character animation poses 5) Final shading and material textures 6) Effects department animates water in stream 7) Final clothing animation 8) Final lighting added to produce final image.