Friday, December 23, 2011

Mini train scenes full of life, humanity


This week my wife and I had an assignment at the PebbleCreek Model Railroad Club. She was doing a real basic feature on the group and their model trains. I was doing the pictures. Their little headquarters had several big train tables that were interlocked together, on which they had something like 400 train cars crisscrossing around their various scenes, from coal mines and steam plants to small-town Americana and Main Street, USA. I had seen similar model railroads like this before, but I really started looking at the small details. What you see here are unedited and unposed pictures of some of their scenes. What's remarkable is how much life are in these shots of plastic figures. They really went the extra mile in making their scenes feel human and real. In many cases, if it weren't for the little plastic bases on their feet, these might look like actual shots of people ...if you squint a little, that is.