Thursday, October 17, 2013

The grind continues for Danny Trejo

Danny Trejo is having a busy day.

He was up long before the sun; long before the freeway clogged with cars. His morning was typical for a promotions tour: a chauffeured ride to a radio station. Then a TV studio. Radio. TV. Radio. TV. This went on all morning. He's promoting Machete Kills, his new (and second) kitschy grindhouse movie by Robert Rodriguez.

By the time he's sitting in front of me, in the concrete cathedral of the Arizona Biltmore, he's yawning uncontrollably.

"Sorry," he says, mid-yawn, his feet kicked up and crossed on a coffee table. "I'm running on two hours of sleep."

Trejo has 256 screen credits to his name, seven in 2013 alone. My first question to him is, "When have you not been tired?"

"Yeah, right," he says, that long boomerang-shaped mustache of his unrolling across his face as he smiles. "I've never really stopped. I'll be watching something on TV and I'll look up and see myself. 'Hey, I'm in this one!' I've been in so many movies that I can't remember them all. I can't slow down."

Even if you don't know who Trejo is, you're likely to have seen him in something. Maybe Michael Mann's high octane heist-drama, Heat, in which Trejo played a bank robber. Or maybe you'll remember him as Johnny-23 from Con-Air. Or perhaps on TV as undercover CIA agent Romeo on Sons of Anarchy. He played cartel snitch Tortuga in two episodes of Breaking Bad, in which his character's severed head is loaded with explosives and perched atop a tortoise sent meandering toward some DEA agents. The show ended its glorious run the night before we spoke.

Did you watch the Breaking Bad finale?

"No, I missed it. I just don't have time. People have been talking about it though. I should probably watch it, but I don't watch a lot of TV."

Trejo is smaller than I imagined. I'm short, and he's shorter than me. In his movies, he always seems bigger. Maybe because he's always playing the tough guy. Trejo admits he was typecast as the "macho Mexican" early in his career, but that has since opened the door for more opportunities.

"I've played so many tough guys. I remember one of my first roles, I was Inmate #1," he said. "I thought it was funny, and I had no idea what typecasting really was."

He says the typecasting never worried him, because, hey, work is work.

"Years later, after I was acting more, I was doing an interview and this young Latina, straight out of college, told me, 'Danny don't you think you're being stereotyped?' She told me that I was always playing the mean Chicano man with tattoos," he said. "I thought about it for a second and I told her, 'I am the mean Chicano man with tattoos.' Somebody got it right when they cast me. I mean, come on, I can't be cast as Daycare Worker #1."

Trejo has quite a story: hooked on drugs at a young age, he was in and out of jails and prisons through much of his early life. He was a boxer and a weight lifter, and at one point was a champion boxer in San Quentin, California's notoriously tough prison. Once out of prison and clean, he fell into the movies as a bit and character actor. The roles grew and grew, and now here is starring in his own action extravaganza, the Machete franchise.

The first one, brimming with its trademark nostalgia — faux-scratches on the film stock, purposefully terrible acting, cheeseball stunts and effects — was charming in its own violent little way. It had a great tagline: "They just fucked with the wrong Mexican!" In it Trejo played a day laborer fighting a corrupt Texas kingpin and his congressional henchman. The sequel takes the same premise and adds elements until the weight creates an unintended implosion. Mel Gibson, Lady Gaga, Antonio Banderas and Cuba Gooding Jr. all have supporting roles. At one point, during a sex scene, the film warns you to put on your 3D glasses except, one problem, the movie isn't in 3D. Machete Kills, despite Trejo's warm nature and hard work, is too hyper for its own good. Frankly, I didn't like it, but I did like Trejo, who lets this big, overeager movie roll over him without crushing him to pieces. With his story, his extensive career and his gentle demeanor, he is the most interesting part of the movie.

He's not your typical action hero. First of all, at 69 years old — he was born less than a month before D-Day in the Echo Park area of Los Angeles — he's not as spry as he once was, though he holds his own in Machete Kills. Second, the height thing. But height never stopped Tom Cruise. Lastly, Trejo doesn't seem convinced he's a star yet. Or even a major player in Hollywood. He seems mostly focused on his next movies, none of which will feature him in the starring role. Can you imagine Tom Cruise playing thankless bit parts at this point in his career? I can't. But Trejo pulls it off, mostly with humility.

I ask if he considers himself a brand, a dependable commodity within the movie business. After all, he's wearing a Machete shirt, Machete hat and he's seated under a poster of his own face snarling with a curtain of fire behind him.

"I can't think of stuff like that. I leave that to other people," he said. "I'll say 'yes' to pretty much anything. If that means anything to the movie business then I'll let someone else figure it out."

He's been in so many movies, I wondered if there were any he was sad to see fall through the cracks.

"Blood In, Blood Out … I filmed that one 1993 and I'm really proud of that one," he says. "I also did Sherrybaby with Maggie Gyllenhaal and I learned a lot from that movie. Honestly, I didn't get it the first time I saw it because there was so much drama and I didn't get to kill anybody, but it's a really great movie."

He also mentions Mi Vida Loca, a gang-drama set around a group of young female gang-bangers as they maneuver around life and loss near Echo Park, Trejo's own barrio.
When I ask the flip side to that question — what big movies of his was he tired of talking about — he clams up.

"I don't refuse to talk about anything I've done. In fact, the only way I would regret doing a movie, is if I didn't bring my A-game. If I showed up and phoned it in, that would be a problem to me," Trejo says. "But honestly, I've never done a movie that I'm not proud of my performance. Some of them are bombs, for sure, but I give my best effort for everything."

No irony is lost in the moment as he yawns fiercely after he says this. A big yawn, too. Hands on the back of his head, eyes squeezed shut, mouth wide open kind of yawn. He might be the hardest working man in Hollywood. He certainly is today doing these madcap press outings.


After we part ways, he heads off to a set of roundtable interviews with whole squadrons of young college journalists. His day isn't even over yet. When he's done with those, it's back on a car, then back on a plane and off to another city to start the whole thing over again. It's a relentless cycle, but Trejo pushes onward with a smile and a yawn.