Monday, December 17, 2012

Juddment Day: Apatow returns to Knocked Up


Judd Apatow is tugging on a long-sleeved plaid shirt, pulling at his buzzing phone and reaching out for a handshake all at the same time. This is how I meet him — endlessly multitasking.

I tell him he’s the George Lucas of comedy. “Is that a good thing?” he says. Sure, because your films take place within the same universe and often star the same characters, and you also write, produce and direct way more than people realize, from your own movies (40-Year-Old Virgin) to web shorts (Funny or Die clips) to TV shows (Freaks and Geeks, and this year’s endlessly debated HBO series Girls).  Isn’t it exhausting?

“Not yet,” he says.

Apatow was in Phoenix touring with This is 40, his quasi-sequel to Knocked Up. The 2007 movie starred a doughy man-child who suddenly finds himself with a pregnant one-night stand. This is 40 follows the parents-to-be’s best friends, an older couple with two children, one of whom does the unthinkable: “I Googled murder.” The parents are played by Paul Rudd and Apatow’s real-life wife, Leslie Mann. Their children are their real children: Maude, 14, and Iris, 12. Needless to say, the film is kinda personal for the 45-year-old comedy mogul.

Here is our chat:

Volume: Your phone isn’t far from your reach. Is that a Twitter addiction? You seem to have embraced it (@JuddApatow) more and more over the last several months.
Judd Apatow: I like it. In a weird way it has the immediacy of stand-up comedy. Twitter is hard to resist for someone who likes to get reactions out of people. So in the middle of the night, if I think of something provocative or funny I can tweet it and watch as a hundred or so people respond — you can start fighting or laughing with them. I find that to be an irresistible idea. My wife doesn’t like it because it’s a whole new distraction.

Volume: It’s interesting as a viewer to watch your children grow up from movie to movie.
JA: I hoped people would like that aspect. I got such a positive feedback from Knocked Up and Funny People about them. I mean, there was that scene in Knocked up where Maude explains how babies are made. [Actual quote from the movie: “Well I think the stork, he, um, he drops it down, and then a hole goes in your body and there’s blood everywhere, coming out of your head, and then you push your bellybutton, and then your butt falls off, and then you hold your butt, and you have to dig, and you find the little baby.”] She came up with that herself. And then she sings “Memory” from Cats in Funny People. And then Iris is very funny as well. It seemed like a very honest thing to do, to show them at every stage, especially when you consider that Maude didn’t understand how babies were made several years ago and now she’s struggling with young adult problems in this film. It felt like it would be a powerful experience for people, and funny too.

Volume: Will she star in her own movie eventually? Maybe This is 16?
JA: She can do whatever she wants to do. She has a lot of interests, and also a lot of homework right now, so it is a balance of her pursuing things like acting and her writing, blogging and tweeting [@MaudeApatow] and not failing biology.

Volume: Could this be a trilogy?
JA: It could be seven films. I like the idea of revisiting people in stages. There’s no part of me that wouldn’t make This is 50, This is 60 or beyond. It’s a fascinating opportunity. When I listen to music, I’m always moved by people who share their lives within their songs, people like Loudon Wainwright.

Volume: Paul Rudd has always been great, but he was always misunderstood before your collaborations together.
JA: Paul is a brilliant actor. I just recently saw him on stage in New York and he’s terrific. He has a really strong chemistry with Leslie, and he can convey these deep issues that Leslie and I deal with within our relationship in a way that’s funny. His character is a Frankenstein monster made of his worst traits and my worst traits.

Volume: Was there ever any push to have the original Knocked Up characters, Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl, appear?
No, because I felt that Seth and Katherine were so charismatic and funny that if they walked through the movie you would just want to follow them. You couldn’t have them in one scene because you would get frustrated that they weren’t on screen more.

Volume: My wife and I have been married just over a year, so I’m excited to see it with her to get her take on it. The jokes were very honest.
JA: It’s all very relatable material. And what’s so weird about that is the more specific I got the more universal it became. Things that I thought I only did — like taking the iPad to the bathroom for some peace and quiet — are actually quite common, so that’s been exciting because I never thought that people would see that and see their own habits.

Volume: Did you ever worry you were making the film too personal?
JA: Not really. It’s about a third from our life, a third observed from friends’ lives and third made up to make the movie interesting. It is like a soup of ideas. If you came to our house you wouldn’t think you were living the movie right now. It does represent our emotional issues and things we’re concerned about, including aging and communication problems.

Volume: The men in this movie are crazy, whereas the women appear to ground them. Was that a conscious decision to show that?
JA: I didn’t necessarily want to show how irresponsible men were, just how they kind of always had their own agenda, like in Knocked Up when Paul’s character sneaks out for fantasy baseball or here in This is 40 where he sneaks into the bathroom to play iPad games, or sneaks cupcakes even though he’s gaining weight. I wanted to show how men drive women crazy and how that disconnects the relationship. A lot of my relationship with Leslie is me learning lessons that I wouldn’t have learned if she wasn’t around. Without her I would just be eating McDonalds for every meal and sleeping on my couch 16 hours a day.